Thursday, May 7, 2009

sick of chicks











Well, I have to tell the truth. I'm tired of the chicks inside. Mostly because they are unhappily stuck in their too-small brooder for too many hours a day. They make a lot of noise wanting to get out. Poor things. Also, they regularly knock over their food and water and fill up their water with poop and pine shavings. Very smart animals. Plus, they are basically another thing to feel responsible for (like the dogs, my sister, nephew, mom, students, job, bills, world peace, etcetera). If they were happy to see me, at least I'd get some ego-strokes! But noooooo! Anyhow, I try to get them out every day, usually by putting them on the living room floor. However, since there have been some sunny days, we've been putting in the side yard (blocked off from rest of yard). A fine idea! We can see them from the kitchen area and since it's blocked I don't have to worry about them jumping the fence or getting snatched out of the sky by a carnivorous bird. They can't really jump the fence yet, but in another month, they will be able to, I think, then what will I do?). Anyhow, I feel quilty when they are trapped in their cell, I mean box, all day....

No comments: